Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Airplane Traytable Cover for Kids

I don't want to say that I am a germaphobe,
but after I watched a special on Oprah a few months ago
about how germy airplane tray tables are,
I am super cautious when I am flying.
Traveling with a three year old makes matters worse
(especially when that three year old is very handsy).
I brainstormed for a couple of days about
what I could do to minimize the germ interaction
when I fly with my daughter.
Of course I have sani-wipes in my purse,
but I wanted something that would slide over
the tray and that she could eat on. I also wanted something
that would keep all of the "activities" that we bring on the plane together.
So this is what was born....



The top is vinyl so it can be cleaned. Also, games like tic-tac-toe can be slid under the vinyl and grease pencils can write on the vinyl (you can use the same game sheet over and over then!). There are three pouches on the front for pens and colors and snacks. The underside of the cover is another pouch that holds paper and coloring books. I also added a strap so that my daughter can carry it on her own. The cover in the pictures is now the 3rd one that I have made...one for my daughter and two for some friends of ours. All three are a bit different...but I love them.

6 comments:

  1. That is brilliant Beth. Is it your personal design? You may want to be able to sell it I'm sure. My daughter always travels with wipes and wipes everything around her on the plane. Trays, seats, arm rests, etc. We are all prone to airplane sickness. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think that I have see something similar on the internet before...but I wanted to make one that had all of the components that I needed. I did design this one from what I saw in my head. We all get the airplane bug too when we travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle HellemonsMay 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM

    This is really cool!
    The only addition I can think of is some flaps over the pockets or zips on them- I'm just thinking about my daughter on a plane and if she doesn't put something IN the pocket it will be on the cabin floor just like the barbie doll stewardess head... I found it when we landed luckily lol..

    Michelle Hellemons NL

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I bet this was perfect! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it...super cute idea. I bet your daughter loves it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy I sure could have used this idea when my 9 year old was younger. What a fabulous idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete